Hi everyone,

I'm using tomcat 6.0.32 on Windows 7.  I have an application where I
programmatically start and stop a separate web application from within an
already running tomcat application.  I do this by creating a new
StandardService, setting the server as
service.setServer(ServerFactory.getServer()) and creating/loading the
connectors, engine, etc... all before calling service.start() to fire
everything up.

Everything is working great, but I'm running into a small snag.  Should a
connector of the service run into issues such as binding to a port, the
StandardService.start() seems to swallow the exception.  It gets logged, but my
caller to service.start() has no way handling that failure.

StandardService.java (~line 539)
try {
((Lifecycle) connectors[i]).start();
} catch (Exception e) {
log.error(sm.getString(
"standardService.connector.startFailed",
connectors[i]), e);
}

I've also looked into registering a LifecycleListener on the connector, but
that doesn't won't tell me whether or not the start had completed.

Are there any other options, other than extending and for the most part
duplicating the StandardService class, that might give me the ability to detect
a failed connector startup?

Regards,

E R I C K   L I C H T A S
Linoma Software