On 5 באפר 2012, at 18:58, "Konstantin Kolinko" <knst.koli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/4/5 Ofer Israeli <of...@checkpoint.com>:
>> Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> On 04/04/2012 17:02, Ofer Israeli wrote:
>>>
>>> Once you have an OOME all bets are off. The JVM needs to be restarted.
>>> There is no guarantee of reliable operation after an OOME.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>
>> Hi Mark,
>> I agree that there in such a situation the JVM should be restarted, but it
>> isn't restarted by Tomcat.  On the other hand, Tomcat does take some
>> precautious actions and kills the accepting thread, but in such a case it
>> should also close the socket that thread is listening on otherwise it is
>> leaving garbage around after the thread's death.
>> Do you see any reason as not to close the listening socket?
>>

> 1. Tomcat does not start JVM  thus it cannot restart it.
>
> You need some external tool or script or admin to perform monitoring
> and (re)starts.
>
> 2. OOM can happen at a random place. Once it happens, it is likely
> that other places will also start to fail randomly. It is also likely
> that your attempts to recover will fail as well.
>
> Mark already mentioned it: "all bets are off".
>
> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

Hi Konstantin,

I agree regarding the OOM bringing TC to a state where it must be restored, but
my point remains: if there is code that handles catching this exception and
terminating the thread, why not terminate gracefully by closing the listening
socket before killing the thread?

Best regards,
Ifer