On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <
chuck.caldar...@unisys.com> wrote:

> > From: Lazar Kirchev [mailto:lazar.kirc...@gmail.com]
> > Subject: Re: Using ServletContainerInitializer for 2.5 applications
>
> > I want the ServletContainerInitializer to be called for all applications
> > deploy, not only with web.xml version 3.0, but also with lower version.
> Is
> > this possible?
>
> Simply put, no.  ServletContainerInitializer doesn't exist in the 2.5 spec
> and thus cannot be used with webapps written to that version of the spec.
>
>  - Chuck

Actually I have created a shared library, which extends the web container.
This library provides an implementation of the ServletContainerInitializer
interface according to the servlet 3.0 specification - chapter 8.2.4,
Shared libraries / runtimes pluggability.

I expect the ServletContainerInitializer to be called for each web
application, deployed in the web container. However, it gets called only if
the version of the web.xml of the deployed application is 3.0.

Is this according to the specification? After all, the library extends the
container itself and not a particular application.