Kiran Badi wrote:
I just want to have one instance of tomcat up and running always whenever I start my system exactly the way I have httpd service running always.

ok now moving forward, I installed the tomcat 7.0.27 as service,made changes to shutdown ports/APR ports etc and now its runing fine as a service.I have now 2 tomcats sitting in same apache directory one is 7.0.11(this runs with netbeans) and another is 7.0.27(this runs as windows service).

Now I want to deploy the my app war file to 7.0.27.But for some reasons Manager App is not accepting my credentials.Here is what I did, I copied the tomcat users file of 7.0.11 to 7.0.27 and after copying restarted the service again,and tried to give the same credentials which are working fine in 7.0.11,but to my surprise,those are not working in 7.0.27 here is tomcat users file,(Sorry for pasting some commented section in below file,but its imp for me not to delete anything for which I dont have much information or knowledge).Pls note that his tomcat users file works perfect fine in 7.0.11 for user kiran/kiran

If it does, then there is severe bug somewhere. As shown below, that file has 2 openin <tomcat-users> tags, and only one closing </tomcat-users> tag. That is invalid xml.
Try again.

It is usually a better idea to make a copy of the original file as it was in the distribution (adding some suffix like ".original"), and then make a "working" version, removing all superfluous comments and leaving only what is really effective. It also makes it a lot easier for people on the list to spot the errors, without having to waft through kazillions of comment lines which may be badly-formatted in an email..

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='cp1252'?>
<!--
  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License.
-->
<tomcat-users>
<user name="admin" password="kiran" roles="admin-gui,manager-gui" />
<!--
  NOTE:  By default, no user is included in the "manager-gui" role required
to operate the "/manager/html" web application. If you wish to use this app,
  you must define such a user - the username and password are arbitrary.
-->
<!--
  NOTE:  The sample user and role entries below are wrapped in a comment
  and thus are ignored when reading this file. Do not forget to remove
<!.. ..> that surrounds them.
-->
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
[...]

<role rolename="AdminRole"/>
<role rolename="UserRole"/>
<user password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1" username="both"/>
<user password="tomcat" roles="UserRole" username="role1"/>
<user password="tomcat" roles="AdminRole,manager-script,admin" username="tomcat"/>
<role rolename="manager-gui"/>
<user username="kiran" password="kiran" roles="manager-gui"/>
<role rolename="probeuser" />
<role rolename="poweruser" />
<role rolename="poweruserplus" />
<role rolename="manager" />
<user username="admin" password="t0psecret" roles="manager" />
</tomcat-users>

Any ideas why its not working in 7.0.27 ?

My system is win 7 32 bit home premium with JDK 1.6.32