On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Todd Seidenberg wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>>  INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor manager.xml
>>>
>>> Good.
>>>
>>>  As you can see, the manager descriptor is deployed - and sure
>>>>
>>> Good.
>>>
>>>  However, I still don't get the manager app.
>>>>
>>> Bad. You mean you get a 404 Not Found?
>>>

>>>  Thats correct. I get the:
>>
>> HTTP Status 404 - /manager/html message.
>>

> and is this an Apache or a Tomcat error page ? (easy to distinguish by the
> style)
>

>> Very strange.
>>

>>  It doesn't look like you are using anything in front of Tomcat like
>>> httpd, are you? Do you have more than one <Host> in your server.xml?
>>>

>>>  There is only one <Host> in my server.xml. We are currently running the
>> AJP
>> connector in the server.xml, and have httpd utilizing that connector to
>> talk directly to the tomcat, but this is only for the convenience of
>> redirecting a meaningful http address into the actual tomcat URL. We do
>> not
>> rely on it.
>>

> And this is what I suspect : the instructions used at the Apache level to
> "proxy" some URLs to Tomcat, do not cover the URL "/manager/html".
>  Therefore, Apache/mod_jk is not forwarding this to Tomcat, and instead it
> is Apache httpd itself which tries to find the resource corresponding to
> /manager/html; but it does not find it, so it returns a 404.
>

>> Weird, huh?
>>

> If my above suspicion is justified, then I would say that it's not weird
> at all.  It is entirely predictable and actually very frequent as an error.

I am definitely getting the 404 error from tomcat, not from httpd. Just to
be safe, I have turned httpd completely off.  I still get the same error.

Here are the contents of
my /usr/local/confluence-4/conf/Standalone/localhost/manager.xml file:
(remember that this was generated when I first started tomcat.)

----
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License.
-->
<Context antiResourceLocking="false" privileged="true" useHttpOnly="true" />
----