Miguel,

While it's not very scientific, I've used Munin to monitor my Tomcat
instances in the past and have never notice any impact on performance.
Also, all the instances I've managed with munin have been on virtual
machines.

If you are using a recent version of CentOS, Tomcat is included in the base
system and can be installed using the "yum" package management utility.
It's not a difficult installation although be aware that folders and files
are in different locations from the distributions found on the ASF web site.

HTH,

Jeff