2012/5/8 Venkata R Madugundu <venkataraman...@in.ibm.com>:
> Hi,
>
> We have been trying to run Tomcat6 windows service to spawn java.exe
> instead of loading having JVM loaded in process.
> I have tried to follow through all the documentation of Tomcat6 and procrun
> to use StartMode as 'java'.

You have to go to Apache Commons Daemon project and read their docs
(and sources)

> But no matter how I tweak the arguments, the StartMode with 'java' does not
> seem to work. Do you know if there is a deterministic way to make it work.
> We are using Tomcat 6.0.20

Old...  The commons-daemon bundled there is also old.

> Here is the relevant content of the service install script.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> set INSTALL_DIR=%~dp0
>
> rem Tomcat 'catalina home' and 'catalina base' paths
> cd ..
> set CATALINA_HOME=%cd%
> set CATALINA_BASE=%CATALINA_HOME%
> cd .\bin
>
> rem Java path relative to ASBNode
> set ASBNODE_DIR=%INSTALL_DIR:\Clients\MetaBrokersAndBridges\web\bin\=%
> set ASBNODE_DIR=%ASBNODE_DIR%\ASBNode
> set
> JVM_OPTIONS="-Dcatalina.base=%CATALINA_BASE%;-Dcatalina.home=%CATALINA_HOME%;-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%CATALINA_HOME%\endorsed;-Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp;-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager;-Djava.util.logging.config.file=%CATALINA_BASE%\conf
> \logging.properties"
>
> set SERVICE_NAME=MBB
> set SERVICE_EXECUTABLE=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat6.exe
>
> set OPTIONS=--DisplayName "IBM InfoSphere Metadata Integration Bridges"
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --Description "IBM InfoSphere Metadata Integration
> Bridges"
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --Install %SERVICE_EXECUTABLE%
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --LogPath %CATALINA_BASE%\logs
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --Classpath %CATALINA_HOME%\bin
> \bootstrap.jar;%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat-juli.jar
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --StartMode Java
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --StopMode Java
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --JavaHome %ASBNODE_DIR%\apps\jre
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --StartClass org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --StartParams start
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --StopClass org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --StopParams stop
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --JvmOptions %JVM_OPTIONS%
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --StdOutput auto
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --StdError auto
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --JvmMs 128
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --JvmMx 1024
> set OPTIONS=%OPTIONS% --LogLevel Debug
>
> "%SERVICE_EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% %OPTIONS%
> if not errorlevel 1 goto end
> echo Failed installing '%SERVICE_NAME%' service
> goto end
>
> echo The service '%SERVICE_NAME%' has been installed.
> :end
> cd %INSTALL_DIR%

I'd first configure everything via GUI.  I think I am not mistaken
that all the parameters that you are passing above are settable
through prunmgr GUI.

That is if "java" mode actually does work on Windows
(I have never tried it, and that would be a Commons Daemon question).

Why do you want "java.exe"? Why cannot you start Tomcat with a *.bat file?

Also IIRC it was mentioned several times that in Vista and later
services cannot interact with Desktop. You have not mentioned what
your OS is.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko