From: Charles Shreve [mailto:char...@citinc.biz]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 4:40 PM
To: Tomcat Users List; Mark Eggers
Subject: RE: Tomcat from remote subnet

You've said very little about your environment.

It would be nice to know:

1. Tomcat version - be precise
2. Package install or downloaded from tomcat.apache.org 3. Fronted by Apache
HTTPD or not 4. If fronted by Apache HTTPD, how (mod_proxy_http, mod_proxy_ajp,
mod_ajp)

That being said, I'll make some guesses.

I'm going to guess for 1 and 2 . . . Tomcat 5.5.x installed from an RPM.

For 3, I'm going to guess no, and that you're either running as root for ports
80 and 443 (not advisable) or using commons-daemon.

Since I'm guessing 3 is no, that renders question 4 moot.

By default the access log valve is commented out in the stock Tomcat 5.5.x and
6.0.x. It's enabled by default in Tomcat 7.0.x.

To turn it on in 5.5.x, you need to find server.xml and uncomment the following
section.

<!--
<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.FastCommonAccessLogValve"
  directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
  pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>
-->

The entry will look a bit different for Tomcat 6.0.x, but it should be fairly
obvious.

Then restart your Tomcat service.

Now you will need to find your log file. I suspect that RedHat places the log
files in /var/log or a subdirectory.

If this is a stock Tomcat installation, then the log file will be in a
subdirectory called logs of your Tomcat installation.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/

Mark,

Tomcat version is 5.5.23

I'm not sure how it was installed, as I was not involved with the setup of
tomcat from the beginning so I can't answer that question.

If fronted by Apache, I'm not sure, but I do not believe so, because Apache is
not running.

Unfortunately, we are using ports 80 and 443.  Again, I got handed this project
because it wasn't working right, so I'm caught in the middle with the whole
setup.

I have looked at the server.xml file and found that the log is commented out,
so I will get that changed which will hopefully point us to our main problem.

Thanks, Charles