On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 12:14 -0400, Vance - wrote:
> I'm maintaining a Web application for searching multiple wikis, this app
> runs under Tomcat 6. I need to modify a servlet so it instantiates a
> 'Thread' subclass to perform a wiki availability check every so often, say
> every 30 minutes. Given that I'm no expert on the use of threads, a
> co-worker suggested the following questions to look into:

Might want to study the classes & interfaces in java.util.concurrent
instead of using a raw Thread.  Concurrency often ends up being trickier
than it first appears and the classes & interfaces in this package were
designed to handle a lot of these subtle details for you.  The Executors
class in particular has some pre-built common configurations ready to
instantiate.

> ·         Does the spawned thread have a time limit imposed by Tomcat?
>
> ·         Does it take up worker thread space from other Tomcat threads?

I believe the simple answer to these is No.  Which is to say I don't
believe Tomcat per se enforces such limits.  However, it may be possible
that an active SecurityManager could impose them.  Would be unusual
though -- especially the 1st question.