Andre,

thanks for your thoughts on this. i agree that this issue brings me to
'a loop of increasing contradictions'.  it's probably good to go one
step back and explain the real-life requirement:

we have an application that is used by many small companies, each
company has its own data and can have multiple users (typically 1 to 5).
within a company there is a requirement to switch users in a fast way
(e.g. using a badge or a fingerprint). think of a restaurant having 1
computer and several waiters. we want to trace what is done by which
waiter and there is also an incentive for the waiter to switch users
because his fee will be based on his logged activities.

my reasoning was: i'll keep the standard proven AAA mechanism for the
initial log in, but allow fast user switching within a company where
there is more trust between users (which is security-wise probably a
weak statement). still there is a need for some type of authentication
because the users can have different roles. but this indeed leads to
conflicts between the standard and the proprietary
authentication/authorization mechanism.

my current reasoning is: i need to keep a standard proven AAA mechanism
also for fast user switching. correct? but how do i tackle this given
that we now have form/container-based authentication. do i need a
parallel standard container-based mechanism? what mechanism exists that
allows to authenticate by scanning a barcode (i.e. a single (possibly
long) string)? any pointer/suggestion will be much appreciated.

dirk