On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Yasser <yarafa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. It does show that maxactive has reached 100. I also use splunk to get
> the connection status at the oracle side.
> What I dont understand is that Resin needs just 50 connections to handle
> the same load. I am in the process of increasing the count to 300 and see
> if that makes a difference. Oracle has the capacity to handle that many
> connections.
>
> We hit an odd oracle exception that may be related. Can't explain it
really well, but the essence of the bug in Oracle was that the
tnslistener's connection count wasn't updated "regularly enough" when
connections closed, so it could believe that the connection limit had
exceeded when the db instance was still happy to accept more connections.
As I recall this was a known Oracle issue, and was fixed by increasing the
acceptable connection count in Oracle. Can you provide the exact exception
from the logs that you hit?

Also have you tried turning on connection pool logging to diagnose when
actual physical connections are created?

Chris