Here [1] the *url* that is returned is in the form

file:/<path>/apache-tomee-webprofile-7.0.4-SNAPSHOT/webapps/test-ear.ear/test-ejb.jar

i.e. indicating a file, if I modify a bit the URL (I did it with the
debugger) to become

file:/<path>/apache-tomee-webprofile-7.0.4-SNAPSHOT/webapps/test-ear.ear/test-ejb.jar/

note the ending */*, then the deployment is OK and the application is
working properly

Violeta

[1]
https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/container/openejb-core/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/config/DeploymentLoader.java#L418