Thanks for your email, and apologies for the confusion - I'll try and help
:)

> - 8.0.1 ok Java EE 8 release (uncertified) but is it fully Java 11
compatible?

Correct, and yes, this is Java 11 compatible. If you find something that
isn't working on Java 11, please do report it and we'll fix it.

> - 7.1.2 why did this not supersede 7.0.x? Is it safe/recommended to go to
this version from 7.0.5 or rather stay at the 7.0.x branch?

The 7.1.x branch is intended to remain parallel to 7.0.x in terms of
features and Java EE level, but introduces MicroProfile, and has a minimum
Java SE requirement of Java 8 as opposed to 7.

> - 7.0.7 we are still running 7.0.5 everywhere, mainly because the
underlying Tomcat has not been upgraded in any of the above versions, is
that still correct? Which are the appropriate Tomcat versions per TomEE?

If you're on 7.0.5 now, upgrading to 7.0.7 will bring you up to the current
level on the 7.0.x branch (last release was about a month ago), and
shouldn't be too big a jump. That uses Tomcat 8.5.50. There's been a CVE
identified against that relating to the AJP connector, so I'd advise you to
remove the AJP connector that is present by default, unless you're
specifically using it. I'd like to push out releases for 7.0.8, 7.1.3 and
8.0.2, but there is a pending dependency that needs need to be released
first.

I hope that helps, but please do let us know if you have any further
queries!

Jon