Actually, you are overcomplicated things a bit i guess.
For the top frame, you don't need wicket at all, you just put there
regular link with javascript in onclick handler. That will invoke
parent.nav.clickNextLink(), which will in turn invoke the onclick
handler of wicket component (this is just a slight indirection so that
the top layer doesn't have to know exact id of the wicket link). And
the onclick handler will update the tree and content frame.

-Matej