I figured it out. Guess I didn't read the documentation properly afterall. In the documentation for addStringResourceLoader is says:

    Description copied from interface: IResourceSettings
Add a string resource loader to the chain of loaders. If this is the first call to this method since the creation of the application settings then the existing chain is cleared before the new loader is added.

So the solution was to:

1. retrieve and save all the existing resource loaders
2. add them again
3. add the extra resource loader as below.

Then it worked.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for your time.

/Erik