i think that is grown this way, previously the model constructor did some
more i believe
Also i don't like this(id,null) because thats just horrible, If you call the
constructor with the model then the model shouldn't be null.

a nicer way could be

     public Component(final String id, IModel model)
        {
            this(id);
            this.model = wrapModel(model);
        }