Use case:

We implemented form-component-level feedback panels that we add to the
components via borders -- though behaviors would be nicer and we may
move to that.  Then we ajaxily (sic) hide/display them beside or below
the relevant components.  Anything else that is form-level we display
at the top of the form.

So we're really doing the same thing that the OP talks about, catching
feedback at a more granular level where it's relevant.

- Scott

> > what we need to do is collect usecases from our users.
>
> Agreed. Users please give your say!
>
> > what you propose
> > sounds great if you are doing component-hierarchy based filtering - but is
> > this common.
>
> I think this is a natural way of thinking about it yeah. And I think
> it is better than not doing filtering by default.
>
> > for example what about a usecase where there are two panels -
> > one on top and one on bottom of a form showing the same messages - will we
> > still support that?
>
> I didn't think of that, but that sounds like a valid use case yes. My
> proposal however would only change the default, or make implementing
> such hierarchy based filtering easier. I definitively like to keep the
> filters etc and be compatible with what we have now if users want
> that.
>
> > i would say ask our users for all these usecases, pick the most common ones
> > but leave enough wiggle room to implement the uncommon ones. maybe really
> > what we should do is not provide a feedbackpanel at all, but rather some
> > callback that users can implement and build their own panels.
>
> I like feedback panel though. It's a very convenient component. We
> could have variants or facilitate the use cases through configuration
> the feedbackpanel.
>
> Eelco

Scott Swank
reformed mathematician