On 8/27/07, Thomas Singer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Your best bet on getting quick support is to fix it yourself and send
> > in a patch.
>
> Well, if that would be possible, I would have done that or worked around it
> myself (like done with some own components).
>
> > http://www.wicket-support.com/
>
> Sorry to say, but I hate websites where you can't find an address on it.

Maybe that's because we're all over the world! :) I think it is Matej
who set this up, and who is the principal guy behind it. He could put
his address there if he'd like.

> What Wicket core developer can provide support (e.g. because (s)he is
> working in the mentioned companies)? Or are you "only" working in your
> spare-time on Wicket?

I can't speak for all, but most of us have full time jobs. Which often
involves Wicket, but have their own schedules of course.

> Please understand me: I had a good feeling about Wicket, but this
> show-stopper problem makes me feel a little bit sick, because I don't know
> whether there are other such problems which prevent using Wicket for our
> website at all.

I hope none. To the upside, at least you have the source, can fix it
yourself or hire people for it, and we're usually moving pretty fast
compared to many competing web frameworks.

> BTW, I still have the feeling, that if Wicket provides a feature to download
> something large (except normal pages), it must not block until this file is
> downloaded. My co-worker told me (I haven't verified), that he stopped the
> download and this also blocked Wicket. He had to restart Tomcat!

Impossible. It can block the session until the request times out,
which is a minute or such.

Now back to your problem, if you get

> java.lang.IllegalStateException: you can only locate or create sessions in
> the context of a request cycle
>       org.apache.wicket.Session.findOrCreate(Session.java:250)
>       org.apache.wicket.Session.get(Session.java:279)
>
> com.syntevo.hpsmart.DownloadResource.getResourceStream(DownloadResource.java:18)
>
> org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.getLastModified(WicketFilter.java:708)
>
> org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.doFilter(WicketFilter.java:122)

how about for a work around just creating the request cycle before you
try to get the session? Kind of ugly but it might work until the bug
is found (I believe Igor thinks this is something for Johan to check
out).

Eelco