Yep, we need to have junit on the classpath during compile and test
time for wicket itself. Scope 'provided' is the only one that provides
this. And it doesn't propagate to projects depending on us, which
typically have junit as 'test' scope.

Martijn

> > > Actually, I don't have junit in my classpath on the server - and Wicket
> > > seems
> > > not so bound to it?!
> > >

> > As a general rule JUnit is only used for unit testing.  I suspect that's
> > also the case with wicket.  It is not required as a run-time dependency.
> > Indeed, I'm not sure why its scope is set to "provided" rather than
> > "test".  With the scope set as test, maven would only download the
> > dependency as needed to run unit tests on the project.
>
> Because we ship helper classes for unit testing. As long as you're not
> using those you won't have to actually have the junit dependency on
> your server.
>
> Eelco

Wicket joins the Apache Software Foundation as Apache Wicket
Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta2 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0-beta2/