yeah, im def not saying that _everything_ will work like that, but it is
_possible_ to do it. what we did is already cover the most common things
like links and form submit buttons.

so try to get that case working first

instead of switching between button and ajaxbutton use ajaxfallbackbutton.
what will happen is that your app will work with ajax in a browser, but as
soon as you turn javascript off it will work with regular requests. all
pretty much transparent.

when you get that working the next step will be to crate a
ajaxfallbackdropdown that will do ajax onchange notifications where
possible, and fallback on regular when not. you can build a layer of these
ajaxfallback components for your app. that is probably the way to go. it
isnt 100% flexible, but you can work on that later. one step at a time.

-igor