they are not "fancier" then generic data structures. they exist for a reason
and can do things other generic data structures cannot. i suggest you read
up on them, they are a pretty standard part of oop and are used throughout
java - unless of course you have been living in a struts-like land where oop
is replaced with procedural programming and you only use a small subset of
java.

-igor