Reading your mails i think you are a bit confused.
to make it clear to me what you think WicketSessionFilter does
Do you think that the WicketSessionFilter CREATES a WicketSession object for
you?

If you think that then that is what the big confusion is all about in this
thread.
The only thing the filter does is getting an existing  wicket session that
is stored in the http session
and setting it for you in the the thread local so that you can access it
from a none wicket thing.

Ofcourse you need to first hit something in wicket itself. So that the
wicket filter/servlet request
did make one. Else it will always be empty.

johan