Yes simpler and automatic if all run fine.
I like to avoid late compilation/interpretation like JSP.

Is it possible to do it at start-up time (force the compression and caching) of
the webapp and to stop the start if something break ?

Eelco Hillenius wrote:
I use a other approach for the same goal (http optimization), to avoid
minification and compression at run-time do it at compile-time.

But if you do it at run-time once and cache the results (like we do)
you can keep things a lot simpler and automatic.

Eelco