i don't really know.  my new project is 1.3 and my old one will always be
1.2.
i have not found too much pain in the API changes myself.  it's certainly a
lot less
drastic than what we started to do.  in general, i would expect less and
less dramatic
change in the future as more and more people come to depend on these APIs.
there will be some changes to introduce generics, but i'm not aware of very
many
user-facing architectural changes under consideration.  it's more likely
that wicket
will refine the more internal APIs like markup traversal, for example, and
possibly
provide compatibility layers for the few people who depend on those internal
details.
but as with all OSS, it's all in the hands of "the community" now.