chickabee wrote:
Once you are out in the market to try the new webapps then it always makes
sense to have people be able to get up and running on the basics w/o efforts
and not to have to deal with tricks necessary to get basic app to work.

I absolutely agree.

Install Maven 2 (takes five minutes, there's a readme on their site, etc.).

Create your own new Wicket project using the Maven 2 archetype and import it into any of the three major Java IDEs and run it (takes five minutes, instructions prominently placed on the Wicket web site).

Optionally compile the examples and have a play (takes another five minutes, and we even host these live on http://wicketstuff.org/wicket13, linked from the Wicket home page, so you don't need to bother if you just want to have a poke around).

A common expectation is a simple standalone app without
Maven/Spring/Hibernate etc unnecessary stuff. Run 'ant' on the command line
and here u have the war file, now,  make a few changes to experiment and
then run 'ant' again to have modified war. Simple.

We support extremely quick set-up and configuration using Maven 2, which has superior functionality via its eclipse, idea and netbeans plug-ins for initial set-up with minimal effort, and templating for extremely quick and easy quick-start of a Wicket project with the appropriate web.xml, etc.

If we make you use Ant instead, there will be just as many people who complain that they want to use Maven. It will also be less powerful and not really any easier. People would still have to look up the ant task names we'd used and would ask questions about that instead, and want to know how to manage the dependencies using Ivy, and all the rest of it.

Obviously the current example is for the comfort of wicket creators and not for the comfort of prospective users and that is the problem here.

We're expecting you to do _FIVE_MINUTES_ extra work here installing Maven 2. The Wicket developers have put in thousands and thousands of hours of work for you to build on, for free. Yes, we want our lives to be easier. Do you see why I think you're being more than a little unreasonable here?

If you're a sufficiently experienced developer to have tried Maven 2 and found it not to your taste, that's fine. But that shouldn't stop you from using it to set up an evaluation project and make having a play with Wicket nice and easy. As mentioned in other threads, there are other options if you don't want to use it in your production build environment.

We provide easy-to-follow ten-minute set-up instructions to get you quickly started with Wicket. Much effort has been put in to make sure this is nice and easy. Like Robo, you are choosing to ignore the large path we have beaten for you and then complaining that you're lost in the forest with no map.

I'm all for improvements driven by the us

Any one with basic common sense will get this up and running after a day's
tinkering around,  but that can be avoided by adding simple things here in
the examples, that is the point I am trying to sell here only if there are
buyers out there with open mind.

If it takes you a day to install Maven 2 and follow four lines of instructions on a prominently-linked web page...

Regards,

Al