A maven archetype is really helpful and the quickstart guide is good
but for me personally I would rather see the documentation
restructured a bit. The thing I miss is a small text explaining what
the different JAR-files actually contain. Something like this (pardon
my english, it is not my native language):

Introduction
-----------------
To build a wicket web application you need to understand the
WAR-format and what the web.xml is. "Introduction on Java web
applications" A must read for anyone developing web applications with
Java. We presume you know this before you start working with Wicket.

Quick start
----------------
The following JAR-files are the minimum needed in WEB-INF/lib to
developa a wicket application:
* wicket-1.3.0-beta3.jar
* slf4j-api-1.4.2.jar
* slf4j-jdk14-1.4.2.jar

Maven
---------
If you use maven (http://maven.apache.org/) which the wicket project
uses there is an arcehtype that can get you up to speed quickly. See
http://wicket.apache.org/quickstart.html

That's it, now go kick the tires!

More features of wicket
----------------------------------
* wicket-auth-roles-1.3.0-beta3.jar -
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/acegi-and-wicket-auth-roles.html
* wicket-datetime-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
* wicket-extensions-1.3.0-beta3.jar - More components...
* wicket-ioc-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
* wicket-guice-1.3.0-beta3.jar - Integration with the Guice IoC container
* wicket-jmx-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
* wicket-objectsizeof-agent-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
* wicket-spring-1.3.0-beta3.jar - http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/spring.html
* wicket-spring-annot-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
* wicket-velocity-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???