>>If you'd rather add a <get> for all the dependencies and
>>depdendencies of dependencies and dependencies of ...  well, you're probably
>>beyond all hope of help to start with.
Well, that is why 'get' is better :) - via transitive dependencies usually we
get soooo many  unnecessary jars that is creates appearance of monstrous needs
of an application.

Transitive dependencies are nice and can work (see Gentoo) but Maven handles
them IMO rather poorly.

But the fact that you have described makes me believe that it is dead easy to
replace maven with pure Ant.