Thanks for the help.  I think I'm on the right track now.

I just published a new version of the wicketstuff-rome project which uses a
Resource to serve up RSS/Atom feeds instead of using a WebPage.  Getting
through the ResourceReference concept was my last hurdle.

Please take a look and let me know if there are any suggestions!
http://www.jroller.com/wireframe/entry/wicket_feedresource