Ryan:

One thing I started considering today after your comments was to place
annotations, similar to beanprops, on the component level (e.g., Page).
Currently beanprops are associated with the Page anyway, so this would be
natural and provide type-safeness without bluring the view/model line.

I think that Hibernate annotations suchs as required and max length are
actually useful for both the model and the view. But possible annotations
such as "label', "fieldType", and presentation order are definitely
view-related.

Jonathan and others have suggested a Java API and one of the consultants I
have worked with actually started on this. But it needs to be finished.

-Dan