> If the page is bookmarked, I don't care about retaining the filter.
> I just want the id for the item they want to view.  But if they
> clicked the link from the list page (that has a list based on the filter),
> then when they return to the list page (save, cancel), I want
> to pass the filter back.
>
> The target page looks for the filter and simply passes it back.  if
> there's nothing there, it passes nothing back.

I would actually be nice to be able to explicitly set a URL together
with the redirect to buffer strategy. For the buffer, it doesn't
really matter what the URL looks like, and with this you'd be able to
pass internal state to pages while still keeping your locations
bookmarkable.

You could open a feature request for this. Maybe supply a patch?

Eelco