I think it is still not possible to include (L)GPL based dependencies
in Apache software: the cannonical list [1] doesn't show GPL v3 as
being acceptible. Furthermore, the *or newer* clause does not GPL v3
make.

The default gettext translations /are/ IMO GPL, as they are supplied
by gettext. Generating bundles based on those translations creates
derivative works, and are hence (L)GPL licensed. If you want us to use
gettext to provide our own translations under the ASL, then why not
continue with the current bundles? It is not like we are going to
provide complete translations for all languages.

Martijn

[1] http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

On 9/26/07, Reinout van Schouwen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Martijn,
>
> Op woensdag 26-09-2007 om 00:57 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Martijn
> Dashorst:
> > LGPL is also problematic for Apache projects.
>
> Are you sure? I don't think this holds any more:
>
> http://gettext-commons.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/README states
> "This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>  modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
>  License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
>  version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) _any_later_version_."
>
> (emphasis mine)
>
> As you may know the Free Software Foundation has worked with Apache to
> make version 3 of its licenses compatible with the Apache license.
> Version 3 is available since a few months now. The article on
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=153 backs up what I'm saying:
>
> "In other words, LGPL code can be combined with code using any other
> license, whether free, open, or proprietary. Unlike LGPLv2, this version
> makes it very clear that linking or combining in any way is allowed. "
>
> >  And we can't use the texts coming out of such tools since they are (L)GPL
> > too.
>
> Are you saying that user-created external data (translations) becomes
> licensed under the same license as the (L)GPL program used to process
> it? Sorry but I find that hard to believe-- I might have missed
> something, but as far as I know, it works this way: the original author
> of the translation retains copyright but licenses his work for
> distribution under the same conditions as the accompanying program. Much
> like regular code, actually.
>
> regards,
>
> --
> Reinout van Schouwen