I'm seeing the same problem.

My markup:
            <wicket:container id="loginInfoContainer">
                [userName]
                <!--Hello,
                 #
                    [userName]
                </a-->
            </wicket:container>

Code:

//in page constructor
WebMarkupContainer loginInfoContainer = new
WebMarkupContainer("loginInfoContainer");
Label userNameLabel = new Label("userNameLabel", new
PropertyModel(this.getUserWebState(), "userName"));
this.loginInfoContainer.add(userNameLabel);

//exception:
org.apache.wicket.markup.MarkupException: Failed to handle:
<wicket:container id="loginInfoContainer">

BTW, using <wicket:enclosure> instead works.

-nikita