Couldn't you just cluster two server instances on the same machine and update
the application in each of them taking down one at a time? I think we used
to do something similar with BEA Weblogic, but perhaps you could with Tomcat
as well?

This would probably solve the uptime issue even if their is only one
physical machine.

E. Kabanov