Hi a cowerker here might have found something here. We have fix the issue by
replacing the *Wicket.replaceOuterHtml* function.

Could this be a BUG?

I have forwarded the initial message that explains the behavior.

Here is the code that fixed our problem:

f(t)

//
// Hack that demonstrates a possible fix for a problem with Gecko based
browsers.
// The problem happens in this line:
//    var fragment = range.createContextualFragment(text);
// If there are many subpanels, the range uncorrectly parses the content,
resulting
// in a fragment that contains many childs instead of one.
// The first child is the first subpanel, and the rest are the other
subpanels,
// which are incorrectly hang at the same level as the main panel, instead
of being
// childs of it.

function replaceWicketReplaceOuterHtml() {
  Wicket.replaceOuterHtml = function(element, text) {
    if (Wicket.Browser.isIE()) {
      Wicket.replaceOuterHtmlIE(element, text);
    } else if (Wicket.Browser.isSafari() || Wicket.Browser.isOpera()) {
      Wicket.replaceOuterHtmlSafari(element, text);
    } else /* GECKO */ {
      // create range and fragment
      var range = element.ownerDocument.createRange();
      range.selectNode(element);
      var fragment = range.createContextualFragment(text);

      // The following code seems useless, and then is commented out
        // get the elements to be added
        //var elements = new Array();
        //for (var i = 0; i < fragment.childNodes.length; ++i)
        //elements.push(fragment.childNodes[i]);

      // move additional subnodes to the correct place in the dom
      if (fragment.childNodes.length > 1) {
        // the for clause intentionally starts from 1,
        // to fix only the wrongly hanging subnodes.
        for (var i = 1; i < fragment.childNodes.length; ++i) {
          var otherNode = fragment.childNodes[i];

          fragment.childNodes[0].childNodes[0].appendChild(otherNode);

      element.parentNode.replaceChild(fragment, element);

window.setTimeout(replaceWicketReplaceOuterHtml, 1000);
//