Thanks Matej!
I think I will try upgrading to 1.3 & will let you all you know if that
solved it.
On a related note.. I found a post with the same problem as mine. I
hard-coded the ajax script in the header like the post suggested and it
solved the issue. But hard-coding is not a real long-term solution for me
though.