Wow. Sorry to have angered the masses. I didn't mean it was a dumb framework
overall, I meant that it seemed to be acting dumb in this particular
instance. At my place of business we call code "dumb" all the time when it
doesn't do what is typically expected. So, I certainly wasn't trying to
insult wicket as a project.

Anyway, I was surprised to see that wicket was automatically HTML escaping
my post parameters. This seemed very strange. I don't typically right bug
tickets until I get some sort of verification that it is a bug, and not
something I am missing (sometime I am dumb, too).

I'm using wicket 1.2.6, but this problem may be specific to the
wicket-auth-roles package which is also 1.2.6.

I changed the sign-in code that came with that package from

password.getModelObjectAsString()

password.getInput()

and all seems well now.