Tried putting  "addComponentInstantiationListener( new
SpringComponentInjector(this );"

into the constructor of Application which extends
AuthentationWebApplication... but I now get the following error.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: servletContext is not set yet. Any code in
your Application object that uses the wicket filter instance should be put
in the init() method instead of your constructor

Thanks for the suggestion anyhow.