Finally, I got Wicket1.3 portlet working in JBoss portal 2.6.3 - after fixing
a few bugs in  JBoss's PortletWindowUtils class. When I tried the
EditableLable AJAX component, I got following error using Firefox:

Error: wicketAjaxGet is not defined
Source File:
http://localhost:8080/portal/auth/portal/default/default/Wicket13PortletWindow?mode=edit
Line: 1

The error is different in I.E. - complaining about Wicket undefined.

<script type="text/javascript"
id="wicket-ajax-portlet-flag"><!--/*--><![CDATA[/*><!--*/
Wicket.portlet=true