I do not know your page code, but Date conversions works fine here.
A second idea is to create a converter with you want something
special, like changing from y to yes or something like that.

Se component getConverter for more details..

MyComponent c = new MyComponent("htmlvalue", new
PropertyModel(valueHolder, "value")) {

                        @Override
                        public IConverter getConverter(Class arg0) {
                            return new MyConverter();
                        }
                    });

--