Well, the reason why was I didn't know that call existed ;-) Of course I
looked at the JavaDoc, but the examples there didn't show this scenario.
Thanks a LOT for your reply - this addresses exactly what I'm looking
for :-)

One more question - what do you refer to with 'late binding' - I assume
the value would be computed 'late' in the process? Please elaborate or
send me a pointer.

Michael

**********

Why dont you simple use MessageFormat's parameter substitution as
desribed
in the JavaDoc, i.e.

 .. new StringResourceModel("label.getTotalAlbums",this,null,new
Object[] {
getTotalAlbums() });

with

label.getTotalAlbums=All Albums: ${0}

Alternatively, I you need late binding put

new AbstractReadOnlyModel() {
    public Object getObject() { return getTotalAlbums(); }
}

in the object array (instead of getTotalAlbums() directly)

bye ...

...roland