A few questions:

1) does your session extend AuthenticatedWebSession
2) if so what does your getRoles() method in your web session look like
3) presumably you mean @AuthorizeInstantiation(Roles.USER) - without the
stars?
4) do you manually set any of the options on getSecuritySettings() in your
webapplication class (afaik you shouldn't, i don't)

Richard