If you would like to have custom Http error pages you can update the wicket
filter-mapping in your web.xml to the following (notice the dispatchers):

        <filter-mapping>
                <filter-name>WicketFilter</filter-name>
                <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
                <dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>
                <dispatcher>ERROR</dispatcher>
        </filter-mapping>

        <error-page>
                <error-code>404</error-code>
                <location>/404</location>
        </error-page>

This is assuming that you have mapped "/404" in your WebApplication:

        mount(new HybridUrlCodingStrategy("/404", PageNotFound.class));

PageNotFound.java WebPage:

        @Override
        protected void configureResponse() {

getWebRequestCycle().getWebResponse().getHttpServletResponse().setStatus(HttpServletResponse.SC_NOT_FOUND);
        }