Hi,
I've used JSF (MyFaces + ICEfaces) before and I found it quite handy to be
able to use one instance of page per session. User can navigate away from a
view and the changes he has made to that view are remembered when the user
returns to the view. I like this especially when implementing tab-like
navigation: every page is its own tab and every tab has its own URL. There
is no need to make one mammoth page with all the tabs and user can move
between the tabs and the changes are remembered.

Of course since its possible in wicket I think that the best way to
implement this kind of behavior in wicket is to use one instance of page per
browser window or browser tab rather than per session. This avoids confusion
when user has multiple windows open.

I think that this kind of feature has been discussed before, but I could not
find any suggestion how to implement it in wicket 1.3. So what would be a
good way to implement one page instance per browser window/browser tab in
1.3?

I tried saving "pageClassName + pageMapName" => "pageId" entries to session
attributes in page's onRender method and using a specialized link to lookup
the page instance every time it is needed. This seems to work but it feels
kind of "hacky".

Is this feature something that could be easily implemented as a framework
feature? Or do others even consider it useful?

Thanks in advance,
Mika