Well - I do the following on the TextField which is rendered in each cell

field.add(new AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior("onblur")
        {
            protected void onUpdate(AjaxRequestTarget target)
            {

((DefaultTreeModel)treeTable.getModelObject()).nodeChanged(treeNode);
                treeTable.updateTree(target);
                target.focusComponent(field);
            }
        });

As you can see, I call nodeChanged with the specific node, which has been
changed and hence needs re-rendereing. Then I call updateTree, to mak sure
its attached to the Ajax response and thats it.
I'll try to do some debug later to see if I can pin-point the exact problem
but I'm quite new to Wicket (4 days since I started Wicket'eering ;-) ) so I
can't really say I understand the whole concept in-depth as of yet.
But I would like to say thanks to the guys on this mailinglist for answering
our newbie questions - its a great help...