Try setting the compoundmodel on the form and the form of the
dropdownchoice to null.
compoundmodels operate by checking if a parent has a compoundmodel,
the component holding the compoundmodel will behave just like a normal
model and return the actual object instead of one of its properties.

Alternatively you can use a PropertyModel on the dropdownchoice
instead of a compoundmodel.

Maurice