I've just realised that the database is getting filled with columns of empty
strings which then don't cause the 'not null' test to trip.

The culprit is the TextField returning an empty string rather than a null. I
can see there are some special considerations for returning a null and I
want to understand how they will effect me. However, I've tried

TexField.setConvertEmptyInputStringToNull( true )

with no effect and using

new TextField( id ) {
public boolean isInputNullable() {
regturn true;
}
};

also with no effect.

I'm assuming I'm not the first person to see this effect and I guess it's
lack of understanding rather than some implicit behaviour but I can't find
anything guiding on the subject.

In this case, the string has no special formatting, it just needs to be
stored verbatim in the database but the application logic in the backend
uses an empty string in a different way than a null string and, yes, maybe
the database should also have a column check but it doesn't at present.

Any pointers?