sounds to me like what you should do is simply subclass
webrequestcycleprocessor and override the entire
respondonruntimeexception() and ignore whatever is in the app
settings. simply return your own page that would inspect the user and
based on that display the general message and maybe the stacktrace if
appropriate. it can also take the applicaton's deployment mode if you
want.

sounds to me like what you want is so custom there is no positive
reason to reuse what is already there.

-igor