Its more likely the fault of the YUI component than CSS.

The YUI stuff uses a fair amount of hacks to get their things working cross
browser - so.. its one of those things where validation of those rules
doesn't matter.

CSS 2 will never be elegant - it has to be handled in a sub par fashion.
Even when its done well its hacky, or conditionally included - or doesnt
look the same between different browsers.

The important thing for me is generally markup - if the markup rocks I am
preparing for a future without CSS 2 :).

Rgds

Ned