It seems to be working ok for us although we're not in production yet. One of
our aims is to avoid code duplication across many sites and make deployment
easy (i.e. not having to deploy and cluster individual sites  in their own
war files)

Yes, we do edit the hosts file for testing, but you could investigate if you
could do things with apache virtual hosting or maybe a firefox plugin like
Tamper Data to edit the host header, if thats not an option.

I'll let you decide if its a good idea.