On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:24 AM, John Patterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  This approach breaks a components encapsulation because the listener must be
>  installed in the application.  Even if IInitializers can be used to do this
>  once it ads an extra complication to creating reusable components.

Perhaps this could be added to "core" since it's a common enough
pattern?  That way, you wouldn't have to worry about the requirement
of making sure that you add the listener in.  It would be there
automatically.

Or, you can do this manually in your own Component class and not rely
upon the listener to call it.  You just do it in onBeforeRender() and
slap that meta tag on the component after you perform the
initialization.  Or, we make a new callback method on Component called
onBeforeFirstRender() or something.  I don't know.  I'm just trying to
help come up with ideas here.  In our application, the
IBeforeFirstRenderListener approach is working because I'm not
creating re-usable components to be consumed outside my application.